60+ SEO Statistics to Help You Rank #1 in 2020
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is highly dynamic and keeping up to speed with it can be quite challenging. To rank better, websites must deliver better information to the search engines and ensure that their content is correctly indexed and displayed among the top results in the SERPs.
Below is a list of google maps
If you want to maximize your search performance in 2020, this article has a list of fascinating SEO statistics to help you rank better. Our up-to-date stats will enable you to achieve a #1 ranking. The statistics are simple enough so that you can have an in-depth understanding of the crucial aspects of search engine optimization and ways that you can make the most out of SEO.
General SEO statistics
- The most popular search engine is Google and it accounts for over 79% of all desktop searches. Bing accounts for 7.27%, while Yahoo is third at 5.06%. The remaining 2.2% is shared by AOL, ASK.com and other smaller search engines.
- In SEO, content is still king. Latest statistics show that 57% of SEO experts believe that content creation and content marketing is the most effective way of driving the best results in search advertising.
- 92% of all traffic usually goes to page 1 of the Google results. More than 9 out of 10 internet users will pick results from the first Google page. This means that websites that are on page 2 or 3 have very low chances of being found.
- 70% of all users completely trust the information that they get online. Therefore, businesses must ensure that all their information is uptodate and consistent.
- Businesses that combine both SEO and PPC advertising campaigns see over 25% more clicks and 27% higher profits when compared to those that utilize a single-channel approach.
- Of all website traffic, 51% comes from organic search, 10% is from paid search, while 5% is from social, and other sources account for 34%.
- Only 21% of users usually access more than one search result.
According to 2018 stats, every fifth user is likely to click on more than one search result. This mainly happens if users cannot find whatever they are looking for or they want to double check the information they found initially.
- More than 40% of revenue originates from organic traffic.
- It is estimated that 73 billion phone calls will be generated from mobile search alone by end of 2019.
- 8.59 is the average number of organic desktop search results shown on Google page 1.
- 93% of online experiences start with a search engine.
This is a well-known statistic that emphasizes the importance and impact of SEO. With almost all experiences originating from search engines like Yahoo, Bing, or Google, it is important to get more visitors to your website and SEO can help you achieve this.
- SEO can result in a 14.6% conversion rate when done correctly.
SEO is mainly focused on attracting users who are actively searching for information regarding products and services. This makes it a perfect tactic for lead generation. Leads originating from SEO have a conversion rate of 14.6%, unlike traditional strategies such as direct mail and print ads that have an average conversion rate of 1.7%.
- 75% of internet users do not scroll past the first page of SERPs.
Recent SEO figures show that most users scan the first page of the search engine results quickly and never proceed to other pages. Additionally, 18% of all organic clicks usually go to the first page, 10% to the second page, and 7% to the #3 page.
- More than 5.5 billion searches are performed on Google every day.
Internet search statistics confirm that there were 1.9 billion internet users by the end of 2010. Today, this number has increased to 4.021 billion, with a year-to-year increase of 7%. This means that the number of internet searches is also increasing every day. By 2010, the number of searches had passed the 1 billion mark and today, 5.5 billion searches are carried out daily.
- Google receives more than 63,000 search queries every second.
This figure translates into over 3.8 million searches every minute, 228 million searches every day and over 2 trillion searches each year.
- 50% of search queries are made up of at least 4 words.
According to search engine marketing stats, half of the queries are usually long-tail keywords. This means that websites must discover and target these user terms. If not, then you will be missing more than 50% of potential leads and audience. You can use tools such as Quora to determine questions that people are asking and then create relevant content that addresses these queries.
- The average traffic share that the first organic search result on Google gets is 32.5%.
- The overage content length of a first page result on Google is 1,890.
- By 2016, Google was aware of 130 trillion webpages.
- 1 billion plus people use Google search every month.
- The estimated number of searches that happen on Google in the United States every month is between 40 and 60 million.
- In 2016, Google launched 1,600+ improvements to search.
- 15% of daily queries on Google have never been searched for before.
- Google currently holds 81.12% of the total search engine market share.
- 30% of all mobile searches are associated with location.
- 34% of all searches do not get clicks at all.
Industry/business spending statistics
- The SEO industry is expected to reach the $80 billion mark in 2020.
According to Forbes cite Borrell Associates, businesses in the United States will be spend about $80 billion on SEO services by 2020. This figure is higher than $65.26 billion in 2016 and $79.27 billion in 2018.
- On average, most businesses are spending >$5,000 monthly on SEO services.
- In 2017, 77.8% of US search ad revenues were earned by Google.
- Businesses that have a solid marketing strategy allocate about 41% of their budget to SEO.
- 34% of companies allocate over $1,000 monthly to link building efforts
- 45% of all businesses say that content marketing forms a big part of their SEO strategy.
Mobile SEO stats
- There will be 221 million mobile search users in the United States in 2020. In 2014, the number of mobile search users in the United States was 133.6 million, 196.5 million in 2017 and 215.8 million in 2019.
- 60% of all the searches on Google are done using mobile devices. 51% of consumers trust websites that are mobile-optimized.
- 27% of the online population across the world is using voice search on mobile. This SEO statistic proves that voice revolution is real and should not be ignored.
- It is predicted that by 2021, mobile will dominate online sales and will drive over 54% in sales.
- 69% of all smartphone users are likely to purchase from companies whose websites answer their questions easily.
- 5 seconds or less is the ideal load time on all mobile devices. Speed matters and websites that take more than 5 seconds to load have over 70% shorter viewing sessions than those that load faster. Google search confirms that a delay of just one second in loading can impact conversions negatively by up to 20%.
- 57% of consumers would not recommend businesses that have a poorly designed website.
- 61% of marketing professionals believe that the key to online success is SEO.
- 78% of all location-oriented searches lead to an offline conversion.
- 88% of customers are likely to visit or call a store within 24 hours after searching from a mobile device.
- Organic traffic can increase by 111.3% when existing content is updated with fresh content.
- Video content tends to drive a conversion 5 times more than content alone.
- 82% of website owners who implemented an SEO strategy found it to be very effective.
Local SEO statistics
- 1 in every 3 smartphone searches are made before visiting a store. A majority of shoppers use mobile devices to get more information about the store’s directions, contacts, business hours, and product availability before physically visiting the shop.
- According to local SEO statistics of 2018, 82% of all smartphone shoppers carry out ‘near me’ searches.
- 50% of all near me searches performed on Google using mobile devices result in a store visit.
- 97% of consumers look for the internet presence of a company before determining whether it is worth a visit or not. Therefore, businesses need to provide accurate information regarding their company to Google, focus on SEO, and collect reviews from content customers.
- 56% of local companies have not claimed their Google my business listings while 82% of businesses have not claimed Bing listings. It is best for businesses to claim their listings in these two search engines to avoid missing out on prospective traffic.
- Positive reviews account for 72% of consumers, while reviews account for 7% of all total ranking factors.
- Local information accounts for 46% of all the searches on Google.
SEO statistics & content marketing
- Content marketing gets three times more leads compared to paid search advertising.
- The most effective SEO strategy in 2020 is content creation. 57% of SEO experts believe that content creation drives better results. 49% of them believe that keyword search is a fruitful tactic, social media marketing accounts for 39% while link building stands at 36%.
- 72% of all marketers consider relevancy as a critical factor for enhancing SEO.
- Content creation accounts for 434% more search engine indexed pages compared to websites that do not have updated content.
- 38% of all marketers publish content at least once every week.
- At 82%, LinkedIn is ranked as the most effective social media platform to deliver your content and engage audience. This is followed by Twitter at 66%, YouTube at 64% and lastly, Facebook at 41%.
- 75% of marketers use services of copywriting agencies to get unique and consistent content, while 25% of marketers never outsource their content creation.
- Blog articles that have images get 94% more views than those without. 71% of marketers are using visual assets as a major part of their content strategy and this number is expected to grow in the future.
- Optimized and well-organized content can boost website traffic by 2,000%, increase revenue growth by 40% year-on-year and reduce CPA by 15%.
- SEO offer 20 times more traffic opportunity when compared to PPC on both desktop and mobile.
Link building statistics
- Long-form content that has an average length of over 1,000 words receives more links and shares than shorter form content.
- 41% of large organizations consider link building as one of the most challenging and demanding SEO tactics.
- Companies that have a blog get 97% more backlinks than websites that do not have a blog. The more indexed pages your website has, the higher the probability that authors looking for information will get your site.
- The average page in the topmost position has more than 35,000 external backlinks.
- Websites that have a video on their homepage are 53% more likely to rank on the first page of Google. This means that incorporating video in your content is an effective SEO strategy.
Social media SEO statistics
- Social media links are different from backlinks. Although having a strong presence across key social platforms is important, Google has confirmed that links from social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and others do not carry the same weight and significance as traditional backlinks.
- Search engines are 10 times more effective at driving traffic to shopping websites than social media. Although social media marketing is the buzz in 2020, SEO is still the most effective way of driving high-converting traffic.
- 60% of all e-commerce browsing time usually comes from mobile devices, but less than 30% of the sales comes from mobile devices.
These SEO statistics will enable you to be more data driven and successful in all your search engine optimization efforts. They will surely change the way that you look at digital marketing in 2020. Be sure to set your business goals and use these SEO statistics to help you achieve your desired goals.