How to Drop a Pin in Google Maps on Any Device?
How to drop a pin in google map? With Google Maps, you can do much more than just find your way around. You can get public transportation routes and times, as well as customize your journey depending on your travel method. In addition, you can drop a pin at a location and save it to your profile or send it to a friend.
If you’re trying to find a place without an address or a road network, dropping a pin can be useful. Additionally, it comes in handy when Google misses a location on occasion. On Android, iOS, and desktop, here’s how to add a pin to Google Maps.
Dropping a Pin on Google Maps Mobile (Android)
When using an Android device, you can drop a pin on Google Maps as follows:
- Launch the Google Maps app.
- Alternatively, you can use the map to search for the location you are looking for.
- You can drop a pin by long-pressing the screen.
- The location or address will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- The location can be shared, saved, labeled, or directions can be retrieved by tapping on it.
On an iOS device, how to drop a pin on Google Maps
In general, the process for dropping a pin in Google Maps for iOS is the same as for Android.
- Launch the Google Maps app.
- Locate the ideal pin location by searching for an address or scrolling around the map.
- Hold down the long press button on the screen where you wish to place the pin.
- When the pin is placed, the coordinates or address will appear on the screen.
- You can tap a location to see more details, get directions, or add labels.
Placing a pin on Google Maps on a desktop
Most people don’t realize that any desktop operating system can be used to drop a pin on Google Maps.
Here’s how it works:
- Go to the Google Maps homepage.
- Click on the exact spot where you want to drop the pin, then locate the desired location.
- You will see a grey pin icon appear on the map, and an information box will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- When you click on the information box, a new panel will appear on the left-hand side of the screen with more information and some additional options.
Dropped Pins: How to Make the Most of Them
Here are some things you can do after you’ve dropped the pin and are satisfied with its location.
There are different options depending on whether you’re using a mobile or desktop operating system. Let’s examine each one in more detail.
Use a Dropped Pin for Directions
The most useful feature of Google Maps is its ability to provide directions, as we said at the beginning. When you’re unsure about the exact location, dropped pins become a crucial part of the process.
Depending on how you drop one, you can either use it as a start point or as an endpoint. Unfortunately, two dropped pins cannot be placed and directions can’t be found between them. A pin must be placed on the ground, followed by the address or coordinates of another pin, which will act as the point of departure.
Save a Pin Location
A pin’s location can be saved to a list connected to your Google account. Afterward, all devices can access it.
Three pre-made lists are available by default: Favorites, Want to go, and Starred places. Go to Your Places in the app’s main menu to add more lists (and delete the default ones). You can make a checklist public or private, as well as share it with other users if you wish. Also, you can create group lists that anyone can add pins to-these are handy for vacations and day trips.
Send a Desktop Pin to Your Phone
The desktop version of Google Maps allows you to drop a pin on the map. In that case, you can share it by using the Google Maps mobile app, by emailing it to the Gmail address associated with your account, or by text message to the phone number linked with your Google account.
Send to your phone is the quickest and easiest way to get started.
Share a Dropped Pin Location
Dropped pins can be shared in four different ways in the Google Maps desktop app (not including the lists feature discussed above).
You can choose between two options on the desktop:
- Share the short link by copying and pasting the automatically generated code.
- You can also share directly on Facebook by clicking on the icon.
- If you choose Twitter, your link will be shared on that network.
- Embed the map into your website using the HTML code.
In order to share a dropped pin location from an Android or iOS device, you must use the native Share menu of your operating system. You cannot embed the location.
Add a Label to a Dropped Pin
Dropped pins can be labeled with a custom phrase or word. Your labels will be synchronized across your Google account, and they will appear on all Google Maps versions.
There is a tradeoff, however, with this feature. As per Google’s message:
Google products will make use of secret places for personalized recommendations and more relevant ads.
From a privacy standpoint, only you can decide if you are comfortable with the situation.
How to Remove Dropped Pins
Now that you know how to drop a pin, you are prepared. How about deleting a dropped pin? What are the steps to follow?
For Android and iOS, you can delete a pin location by tapping the X icon in the text box at the top of the page. A dropped pin on your desktop can be deleted by clicking anywhere else on the map or by pressing the X icon at the bottom of the information box.